Allied Trust Insurance wants you to have a disaster preparedness plan in place for you and your family’s safety. It is a good idea to put together a plan and a kit that will help you stay organized and safe should a disaster strike. Putting together a disaster supplies kit is easy when you do it in advance. You will need supplies that will help you survive for at least 72 hours.
Disaster Kit Must Haves
Here we’ve compiled a list, with the guidance from the Federal ready.gov website, of some basic items you will want to have in your disaster preparedness kit. Each family has individual needs and should plan accordingly.
- Non-Perishable Food Items, manual can opener
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Cash or traveler’s checks and change
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container.
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person.
- Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted, nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
- Paper and pencil
We are here for you after a disaster strikes to help you file claims, assess damage and begin getting things back to normal. Take confidence in your coverage with Allied Trust Insurance.